More From William Ellery Channing
- "The world is governed by opinion."
- "No power in society, no hardship in your condition can depress you, keep you down, in knowledge, power, virtue, influence, but by your own consent."
- "The mind, in proportion as it is cut off from free communication with nature, with revelation, with God, with itself, loses its life, just as the body droops when debarred from the air and the cheering light from heaven."
More In Government
- "I cannot consent that my mortal body shall be laid in a repository prepared for an Emperor or a King my republican feelings and principles forbid it the simplicity of our system of government forbids it."― Andrew Jackson
- "Government is either organized benevolence or organized madness; its peculiar magnitude permits no shading."― John Updike
- "If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists – to protect them and to promote their common welfare – all else is lost."― Barack Obama