More From William Ellery Channing
- "Faith is love taking the form of aspiration."
- "The best books for a man are not always those which the wise recommend, but often those which meet the peculiar wants, the natural thirst of his mind, and therefore awaken interest and rivet thought."
- "Great minds are to make others great. Their superiority is to be used, not to break the multitude to intellectual vassalage, not to establish over them a spiritual tyranny, but to rouse them from lethargy, and to aid them to judge for themselves."
More In Government
- "Our government declared that it is conducting some kind of great reforms. In reality, no real reforms were begun and no one at any point has declared a coherent programme."― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help."― Ronald Reagan
- "All of us should have free choice when it comes to patriotic displays… a government wisely acting within its bounds will earn loyalty and respect from its citizens. A government dare not demand the same."― Jesse Ventura