More From Washington Irving
- "Age is a matter of feeling, not of years."
- "Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart."
- "There is certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in traveling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one’s position, and be bruised in a new place."
More In War
- "The more the history of the World War and what led up to it is studied, the more clearly those tragic years become revealed as a vast collapse of civilization."― Arthur Henderson
- "I will not attempt to deny the reasonableness and necessity of a party war; but in carrying on that war all principles and rules of justice should not be departed from."― Robert Walpole
- "The military don’t start wars. Politicians start wars."― William Westmoreland