More From Washington Irving
- "Those men are most apt to be obsequious and conciliating abroad, who are under the discipline of shrews at home."
- "A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother’s love endures through all."
- "There is never jealousy where there is not strong regard."
More In War
- "Which suggests something about media and war: it’s not just that events happen and the media documents and presents them. There is a third element: what the public is ready to accept, what the public wants to know."― Bruce Jackson
- "It is not only the living who are killed in war."― Isaac Asimov
- "History suggests that capitalism is a necessary condition for political freedom. Clearly it is not a sufficient condition."― Milton Friedman