More From Walter Pater
- "Many attempts have been made by writers on art and poetry to define beauty in the abstract, to express it in the most general terms, to find some universal formula for it."
- "No account of the Renaissance can be complete without some notice of the attempt made by certain Italian scholars of the fifteenth century to reconcile Christianity with the religion of ancient Greece."
- "One of the most beautiful passages of Rousseau is that in the sixth book of Confessions, where he describes the awakening in him of the literary sense. Of such wisdom, the poetic passion, the desire of beauty, the love of art for its own sake, has most."
More In Attitude
- "You’d like more people to recognise what you do is special. But I take the attitude that the best thing I can do for my sport is to be the best at it. The best way people will come to recognise that track and field is a great sport is to see athletes excelling at it. Which is what I intend to do."― Maurice Greene
- "Success or failure in business is caused more by the mental attitude even than by mental capacities."― Walter Scott
- "I think it’s pretty crazy to say you’ve been typecast at the age of 20 before you’ve even really started getting going."― Tom Felton