More From Wallace Stevens
- "Intolerance respecting other people’s religion is toleration itself in comparison with intolerance respecting other people’s art."
- "I do not know which to prefer, The beauty of inflections, Or the beauty of innuendoes, The blackbird whistling, Or just after."
- "If poetry should address itself to the same needs and aspirations, the same hopes and fears, to which the Bible addresses itself, it might rival it in distribution."
More In Beauty
- "A poet’s work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep."― Salman Rushdie
- "A lot of the work in United States is highly critical of technology. I’m using 15,000 watts of power and 18 different pieces of electronic equipment to say that."― Laurie Anderson
- "Find beauty not only in the thing itself but in the pattern of the shadows, the light and dark which that thing provides."― Junichiro Tanizaki