More From W. Somerset Maugham
- "Any nation that thinks more of its ease and comfort than its freedom will soon lose its freedom; and the ironical thing about it is that it will lose its ease and comfort too."
- "Death doesn’t affect the living because it has not happened yet. Death doesn’t concern the dead because they have ceased to exist."
- "The artist produces for the liberation of his soul. It is his nature to create as it is the nature of water to run down the hill."
More In Poetry
- "All one’s inventions are true, you can be sure of that. Poetry is as exact a science as geometry."― Gustave Flaubert
- "Any long work in which poetry is persistent, be it epic or drama or narrative, is really a succession of separate poetic experiences governed into a related whole by an energy distinct from that which evoked them."― John Drinkwater
- "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."― Thomas Bailey Aldrich