More From W. Somerset Maugham
- "The common idea that success spoils people by making them vain, egotistic and self-complacent is erroneous; on the contrary it makes them, for the most part, humble, tolerant and kind."
- "A man marries to have a home, but also because he doesn’t want to be bothered with sex and all that sort of thing."
- "It’s no good trying to keep up old friendships. It’s painful for both sides. The fact is, one grows out of people, and the only thing is to face it."
More In Poetry
- "Because one doesn’t like the way things are is no reason to be unjust towards God."― Victor Hugo
- "Poetry is of so subtle a spirit, that in the pouring out of one language into another it will evaporate."― John Denham
- "The real harm of term extension comes not from these famous works. The real harm is to the works that are not famous, not commercially exploited, and no longer available as a result."― Lawrence Lessig