More From W. Somerset Maugham
- "It is not wealth one asks for, but just enough to preserve one’s dignity, to work unhampered, to be generous, frank and independent."
- "Men have an extraordinarily erroneous opinion of their position in nature; and the error is ineradicable."
- "Old age has its pleasures, which, though different, are not less than the pleasures of youth."
More In Good
- "Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine."― Thomas Aquinas
- "I was warmed by the sun, rocked by the winds and sheltered by the trees as other Indian babes. I was living peaceably when people began to speak bad of me. Now I can eat well, sleep well and be glad. I can go everywhere with a good feeling."― Geronimo
- "No man is good enough to govern any woman without her consent."― Susan B. Anthony