More From Victor Hugo
- "One is not idle because one is absorbed. There is both visible and invisible labor. To contemplate is to toil, to think is to do. The crossed arms work, the clasped hands act. The eyes upturned to Heaven are an act of creation."
- "Short as life is, we make it still shorter by the careless waste of time."
- "Because one doesn’t like the way things are is no reason to be unjust towards God."
More In God
- "Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it is even becoming mob."― Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Man has to awaken to wonder – and so perhaps do peoples. Science is a way of sending him to sleep again."― Ludwig Wittgenstein
- "I like mathematics because it is not human and has nothing particular to do with this planet or with the whole accidental universe – because, like Spinoza’s God, it won’t love us in return."― Bertrand Russell