More From Tom Stoppard
- "I was interested by the idea that artists working in a totalitarian dictatorship or tsarist autocracy are secretly and slightly shamefully envied by artists who work in freedom. They have the gratification of intense interest: the authorities want to put them in jail, while there are younger readers for whom what they write is pure oxygen."
- "The House of Lords, an illusion to which I have never been able to subscribe – responsibility without power, the prerogative of the eunuch throughout the ages."
- "It’s not the voting that’s democracy; it’s the counting."
More In Car
- "If you think nobody cares if you’re alive, try missing a couple of car payments."― Earl Wilson
- "I love sleeping in a moving car more than sleeping in bed."― Ben Stein
- "The body is like a car: the older you become the more care you have to take care of it – and you don’t leave a Ferrari out in the sun."― Joan Collins