More From Tom Stoppard
- "The House of Lords, an illusion to which I have never been able to subscribe – responsibility without power, the prerogative of the eunuch throughout the ages."
- "It’s not the voting that’s democracy; it’s the counting."
- "Beauty is desired in order that it may be befouled; not for its own sake, but for the joy brought by the certainty of profaning it."
More In Society
- "Even the most wretched individual of our present society could not exist and develop without the cumulative social efforts of countless generations."― Mikhail Bakunin
- "There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children."― Nelson Mandela
- "But of course when people watch morning television, Terry, it’s a very different animal. You know, they’re running around, they’re getting their kids ready for school, they’re probably doing eight million things, they’re brushing their teeth."― Katie Couric