More From Thomas W. Higginson
- "Nothing is so galling to a people not broken in from the birth as a paternal, or in other words a meddling government, a government which tells them what to read and say and eat and drink and wear."
- "There is no defense against adverse fortune which is so effectual as an habitual sense of humor."
- "When a thought takes one’s breath away, a grammar lesson seems an impertinence."
More In Government
- "Who can be against progress, after all? But it’s a fraudulent use of the word – because for the Progressive, progress is marked not be how free you are, but how much government can ‘do’ for you."― Rick Perry
- "Peace as a goal is an ideal which will not be contested by any government or nation, not even the most belligerent."― Aung San Suu Kyi
- "Government is a contrivance of human wisdom to provide for human wants. People have the right to expect that these wants will be provided for by this wisdom."― Jimmy Carter