More From Thomas Szasz
- "Clear thinking requires courage rather than intelligence."
- "Individual psychotherapy – that is, engaging a distressed fellow human in a disciplined conversation and human relationship – requires that the therapist have the proper temperament and philosophy of life for such work. By that I mean that the therapist must be patient, modest, and a perceptive listener, rather than a talker and advice-giver."
- "No further evidence is needed to show that ‘mental illness’ is not the name of a biological condition whose nature awaits to be elucidated, but is the name of a concept whose purpose is to obscure the obvious."
More In Hope
- "I think almost every writer in the world would hope that books would be always talked about with respect and civility and depth and seriousness."― Dave Eggers
- "I don’t know what can be so dangerous about giving people hope."― Joel Osteen
- "Religion kept some of my relatives alive, because it was all they had. If they hadn’t had some hope of heaven, some companionship in Jesus, they probably would have committed suicide, their lives were so hellish."― Octavia Butler