More From Stephen Ambrose
- "Trial by jury. Live wherever you can make a living. How could a government based on such principles fail?"
- "The war in Vietnam I thought a dreadful mistake."
- "Winning the Revolutionary War, or the Civil War, or World War II were the turning points in our history, the sine qua non of our forward progress."
More In History
- "The Establishment center… has led us into the stupidest and cruelest war in all history. That war is a moral and political disaster – a terrible cancer eating away at the soul of our nation."― George McGovern
- "The greatest tragedy in mankind’s entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."― Arthur C. Clarke
- "America, 5 years after this brutal attack, is testament that a Nation conceived in liberty and equality will endure. It is a triumph of millions of Americans but it is also the triumph of an idea larger than any one person, larger than any one nation."― Nick Rahall