More From Rita Dove
- "The poetry that sustains me is when I feel that, for a minute, the clouds have parted and I’ve seen ecstasy or something."
- "I thought, after the Pulitzer, at least nothing will surprise me quite that much in my life. And another one happened. It was quite amazing."
- "There are distinct duties of a poet laureate. I plan a reading series at the Library of Congress and advise the librarian. The rest is how I want to promote poetry."
More In Poetry
- "We read Robert Browning’s poetry. Here we needed no guidance from the professor: the poems themselves were enough."― Carl Sandburg
- "Clarity, clarity, surely clarity is the most beautiful thing in the world, A limited, limiting clarity I have not and never did have any motive of poetry But to achieve clarity."― George Oppen
- "It is time to get drunk! So as not to be the martyred slaves of Time, get drunk; get drunk without stopping! On wine, on poetry, or on virtue, as you wish."― Charles Baudelaire