More From Polly Toynbee
- "Is anyone serious about the politics of happiness? David Cameron dipped a toe in the water, using the word lightly, but denying the hard policies it implies. Labour shies away from it, but should take up the challenge."
- "Could a government dare to set out with happiness as its goal? Now that there are accepted scientific proofs, it would be easy to audit the progress of national happiness annually, just as we monitor money and GDP."
- "But instead of standing up for reason, our government is handing education over to the world of faith."
More In Religion
- "Being a rock star is like being a cult leader – you really have to be in your own religion."― Courtney Love
- "It is, then, by those shadows of the hoary Past and their fantastic silhouettes on the external screen of every religion and philosophy, that we can, by checking them as we go along, and comparing them, trace out finally the body that produced them."― H. P. Blavatsky
- "When law and duty are one, united by religion, you never become fully conscious, fully aware of yourself. You are always a little less than an individual."― Frank Herbert