More From Polly Toynbee
- "Could a government dare to set out with happiness as its goal? Now that there are accepted scientific proofs, it would be easy to audit the progress of national happiness annually, just as we monitor money and GDP."
- "But instead of standing up for reason, our government is handing education over to the world of faith."
- "Happiness is a real, objective phenomenon, scientifically verifiable. That means people and whole societies can now be measured over time and compared accurately with one another. Causes and cures for unhappiness can be quantified."
More In Religion
- "There is no cure for the pride of a virtuous nation but pure religion."― Reinhold Niebuhr
- "Twenty five percent of Israeli citizens are not even Jewish. Anybody can become an Israeli citizen if you qualify. Religion is not a criterion for citizenship."― Alan Dershowitz
- "Galileo was no idiot. Only an idiot could believe that science requires martyrdom – that may be necessary in religion, but in time a scientific result will establish itself."― David Hilbert