More From Philip Levine
- "My mother carried on and supported us; her ambition had been to write poetry and songs."
- "Now I think poetry will save nothing from oblivion, but I keep writing about the ordinary because for me it’s the home of the extraordinary, the only home."
- "There’ll always be working people in my poems because I grew up with them, and I am a poet of memory."
More In Poetry
- "The Language Poets are writing only about language itself. The Ashbery poets are writing only about poetry itself. That seems to me a kind of dead end."― Robert Morgan
- "All the modern verse plays, they’re terrible; they’re mostly about the poetry. It’s more important that the play is first."― Denis Johnson
- "Gil Thorpe is a great diversion and is to book writing as poetry is to prose."― Jerry B. Jenkins