More From Paul Gauguin
- "The history of modern art is also the history of the progressive loss of art’s audience. Art has increasingly become the concern of the artist and the bafflement of the public."
- "Art requires philosophy, just as philosophy requires art. Otherwise, what would become of beauty?"
- "Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
More In Imagination
- "Wherever you write is supposed to be a little bit of a refuge, a place where you can get away from the world. The more closed in you are, the more you’re forced back on your own imagination."― Stephen King
- "Every time you get on a stage or in front of a camera, the whole exercise is about imagination. You’re constantly depicting something that doesn’t exist, and trying to find the reality of it. Once you settle on that premise, everything else is a matter of degrees."― Ron Perlman
- "He is the true enchanter, whose spell operates, not upon the senses, but upon the imagination and the heart."― Washington Irving