More From Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate."
- "A pun does not commonly justify a blow in return. But if a blow were given for such cause, and death ensued, the jury would be judges both of the facts and of the pun, and might, if the latter were of an aggravated character, return a verdict of justifiable homicide."
- "Without wearing any mask we are conscious of, we have a special face for each friend."
More In Best
- "No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another, either by argument or emotional appeal."― Marilyn Ferguson
- "Pride is still aiming at the best houses: Men would be angels, angels would be gods. Aspiring to be gods, if angels fell; aspiring to be angels men rebel."― Alexander Pope
- "The best weapon of a dictatorship is secrecy, but the best weapon of a democracy should be the weapon of openness."― Niels Bohr