More From Michael Pollan
- "In addition to contributing to erosion, pollution, food poisoning, and the dead zone, corn requires huge amounts of fossil fuel – it takes a half gallon of fossil fuel to produce a bushel of corn."
- "For at the same time many people seem eager to extend the circle of our moral consideration to animals, in our factory farms and laboratories we are inflicting more suffering on more animals than at any time in history."
- "In corn, I think I’ve found the key to the American food chain. If you look at a fast-food meal, a McDonald’s meal, virtually all the carbon in it – and what we eat is mostly carbon – comes from corn."
More In Food
- "We had no electricity, no gas. Food was probably our greatest entertainment – the most fun thing that we could do was food."― Paul Prudhomme
- "Any healthy man can go without food for two days – but not without poetry."― Charles Baudelaire
- "I can’t stay away from Chinese food. I really love that stuff."― Shaun White