More From Matthew Arnold
- "Spare me the whispering, crowded room, the friends who come and gape and go, the ceremonious air of gloom – all, which makes death a hideous show."
- "Sad Patience, too near neighbour to despair."
- "Poetry; a criticism of life under the conditions fixed for such a criticism by the laws of poetic truth and poetic beauty."
More In Happiness
- "I always had a larger view. I’m interested in real life – my family, my friends. I have tried never to define myself by my success, whatever that is. My happiness is way beyond roles and awards."― Amy Adams
- "Some of you read with me 40 years ago a portion of Aristotle’s Ethics, a selection of passages that describe his idea of happiness. You may not remember too well."― Charles Van Doren
- "For happiness one needs security, but joy can spring like a flower even from the cliffs of despair."― Anne Morrow Lindbergh