More From Mary Wortley Montagu
- "Nobody can deny but religion is a comfort to the distressed, a cordial to the sick, and sometimes a restraint on the wicked; therefore whoever would argue or laugh it out of the world without giving some equivalent for it ought to be treated as a common enemy."
- "Nobody should trust their virtue with necessity, the force of which is never known till it is felt, and it is therefore one of the first duties to avoid the temptation of it."
- "While conscience is our friend, all is at peace; however once it is offended, farewell to a tranquil mind."
More In Romantic
- "I’m sorry, but I can’t make a movie with the blonde from ‘ER’ who is starring in every single bad romantic comedy."― Matthew Fox
- "The rights of one sex, political and otherwise, are the same as those of the other sex, and this equality of rights ought to be fully recognized."― Leland Stanford
- "When we ask for love, we don’t ask others to be fair to us-but rather to care for us, to be considerate of us. There is a world of difference here between demanding justice… and begging or pleading for love."― Mortimer Adler