More From Marian Wright Edelman
- "The Declaration of Independence was always our vision of who we wanted to be, our ideal of freedom and justice, how we were going to be different, and what the American experiment was going to be about."
- "No person has the right to rain on your dreams."
- "Unless children have strong education and strong families and strong communities and decent housing, it’s not enough to go sit in at a lunch counter."
More In Best
- "Religion creates community, community creates altruism and altruism turns us away from self and towards the common good… There is something about the tenor of relationships within a religious community that makes it the best tutorial in citizenship and good neighborliness."― Jonathan Sacks
- "A wise unselfishness is not a surrender of yourself to the wishes of anyone, but only to the best discoverable course of action."― David Seabury
- "Look your best – who said love is blind?"― Mae West