More From Lionel Trilling
- "We are all ill: but even a universal sickness implies an idea of health."
- "Every neurosis is a primitive form of legal proceeding in which the accused carries on the prosecution, imposes judgment and executes the sentence: all to the end that someone else should not perform the same process."
- "Probably it is impossible for humor to be ever a revolutionary weapon. Candide can do little more than generate irony."
More In Legal
- "I’m not a lawyer, and maybe I should have used more specific legal language."― Sonny Bono
- "My songs are my kids. Some of them stay with me, some others I have to send out, out to the war. It might sound stupid and it might even sound naive, but that’s just the way it is."― Thom Yorke
- "From your confessor, lawyer and physician, hide not your case on no condition."― John Harington