More From Laurence Sterne
- "Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners."
- "Religion which lays so many restraints upon us, is a troublesome companion to those who will lay no restraints upon themselves."
- "Alas! if the principles of contentment are not within us, the height of station and worldly grandeur will as soon add a cubit to a man’s stature as to his happiness."
More In Famous
- "All the information you could want is constantly streaming at you like a runaway truck – books, newspaper stories, Web sites, apps, how-to videos, this article you’re reading, even entire magazines devoted to single subjects like charcuterie or wedding cakes or pickles."― Mario Batali
- "I was one of those people who put too much emphasis on work and career and material possessions, and it took its toll on all my relationships, on my physical health, my emotional and mental health."― Tony Shalhoub
- "Hold on to that. You have an autograph. I’m going to be famous some day."― Haywood Nelson