More From Karen Armstrong
- "Mohammed was not an apparent failure. He was a dazzling success, politically as well as spiritually, and Islam went from strength to strength to strength."
- "Zionism was originally a rebellion against religious Judaism and the PLO Charter was essentially secularist. But because the conflict was allowed to fester without a resolution, religion got sucked into the escalating cycle of violence and became part of the problem."
- "The hajj is one of the five essential practices of Islam; when they make the pilgrimage to Mecca, Muslims ritually act out the central principles of their faith."
More In Society
- "Sooner or later, we sell out for money."― Tony Randall
- "In the society, where people are just parts in a larger machine, individuals are unable to develop fully."― Friedrich Schiller
- "In emerging democracies like Russia, in authoritarian states like Iran or even Yugoslavia, journalists play a vital role in civil society. In fact, they form the very basis of those new democracies and civil societies."― Christiane Amanpour