More From Karen Armstrong
- "Zionism was originally a rebellion against religious Judaism and the PLO Charter was essentially secularist. But because the conflict was allowed to fester without a resolution, religion got sucked into the escalating cycle of violence and became part of the problem."
- "I am not interested in the afterlife. Religion is supposed to be about losing your ego, not preserving it eternally in optimum conditions."
- "Islam is a religion of success. Unlike Christianity, which has as its main image, in the west at least, a man dying in a devastating, disgraceful, helpless death."
More In Society
- "Religion is run by thought police. ‘Obey. Listen. This is what you do. Don’t ask questions. Go die for your country.’ The spirituality says, ‘Okay, you can die for your country, but know what you’re doing while you’re doing it.’"― Tommy Chong
- "Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap."― Barbara Jordan
- "A Libertarian society of unfettered individualism spreads its benefits to virtually everyone – not just those who have the resources to seize political power."― Harry Browne