More From Joseph Butler
- "Compassion is a call, a demand of nature, to relieve the unhappy as hunger is a natural call for food."
- "Happiness or satisfaction consists only in the enjoyment of those objects which are by nature suited to our several particular appetites, passions, and affections."
- "Happiness does not consist in self-love."
More In Happiness
- "Happiness comes when we test our skills towards some meaningful purpose."― John Stossel
- "If happiness truly consisted in physical ease and freedom from care, then the happiest individual would not be either a man or a woman; it would be, I think, an American cow."― William Lyon Phelps
- "Happiness is a virtue, not its reward."― Baruch Spinoza