More From Jonathan Mayhew
- "But let us remember, at the same time, government is sacred, and not to be trifled with."
- "I now add, farther, that the apostle’s argument is so far from proving it to be the duty of people to obey, and submit to, such rulers as act in contradiction to the public good, and so to the design of their office, that it proves the direct contrary."
More In Happiness
- "When the honour is given to that scientist personally the happiness is sweet indeed. Science is, on the whole, an informal activity, a life of shirt sleeves and coffee served in beakers."― George Porter
- "I am a kind of paranoid in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy."― J. D. Salinger
- "To desire and strive to be of some service to the world, to aim at doing something which shall really increase the happiness and welfare and virtue of mankind – this is a choice which is possible for all of us; and surely it is a good haven to sail for."― Henry Van Dyke