More From Jon Meacham
- "With the perspective afforded by the passage of time, where does 9/11 rank as a turning point in our national history? For the victims and their families, innocents going about their lives, suddenly and brutally murdered, no other day can ever matter as much."
- "Attacks on a politician’s identity – questioning Romney’s religion, say, or Obama’s birthplace – tend to come when an opponent is desperate and can’t sell himself."
- "Religious belief, like history itself, is a story that is always unfolding, always subject to inquiry and ripe for questioning. For without doubt there is no faith."
More In History
- "In history as in human life, regret does not bring back a lost moment and a thousand years will not recover something lost in a single hour."― Stefan Zweig
- "Nixon in 1968, unlike Obama 2008, was elected as a minority president with only 43 percent of the vote. Yet, in 1972, he won what, in some measures, was the most lopsided election in American history with 61 percent."― John Podhoretz
- "Inflation is bringing us true democracy. For the first time in history, luxuries and necessities are selling at the same price."― Robert Orben