More From John W. Gardner
- "When one may pay out over two million dollars to presidential and Congressional campaigns, the U.S. government is virtually up for sale."
- "America’s greatness has been the greatness of a free people who shared certain moral commitments. Freedom without moral commitment is aimless and promptly self-destructive."
- "The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."
More In Happiness
- "We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves."― Lyndon B. Johnson
- "Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers’ gardens."― Douglas William Jerrold
- "Whether happiness may come or not, one should try and prepare one’s self to do without it."― George Eliot