More From John Updike
- "Americans have been conditioned to respect newness, whatever it costs them."
- "Each morning my characters greet me with misty faces willing, though chilled, to muster for another day’s progress through the dazzling quicksand the marsh of blank paper."
- "Religion enables us to ignore nothingness and get on with the jobs of life."
More In Poetry
- "As for how criticism of Keats’ poetry relates to criticism of my own work, I’ll leave that for others to decide."― Jane Campion
- "I will not leave a corner of my consciousness covered up, but saturate myself with the strange and extraordinary new conditions of this life, and it will all refine itself into poetry later on."― Isaac Rosenberg
- "I love romantic poetry."― Richard Dawkins