More From John Irving
- "I think the sport of wrestling, which I became involved with at the age of 14… I competed until I was 34, kind of old for a contact sport. I coached the sport until I was 47. I think the discipline of wrestling has given me the discipline I have to write."
- "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
- "To each other, we were as normal and nice as the smell of bread. We were just a family. In a family even exaggerations make perfect sense."
More In Sympathy
- "A healthy attitude is contagious but don’t wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."― Tom Stoppard
- "I’m not looking for sympathy at all."― Arnold Schwarzenegger
- "Badges mean nothing in themselves, but they mark a certain achievement and they are a link between the rich and the poor. For when one girl sees a badge on a sister Scout’s arm, if that girl has won the same badge, it at once awakens an interest and sympathy between them."― Juliette Gordon Low