More From John Irving
- "To each other, we were as normal and nice as the smell of bread. We were just a family. In a family even exaggerations make perfect sense."
- "The building of the architecture of a novel – the craft of it – is something I never tire of."
- "I suppose I’m proudest of my novels for what’s imagined in them. I think the world of my imagination is a richer and more interesting place than my personal biography."
More In Sympathy
- "Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us."― Meister Eckhart
- "I’ve always liked Saturn. But I also have some sympathy for Pluto because I heard it’s been downgraded from a planet, and I think it should remain a planet. Once you’ve given something planetary status it’s kind of mean to take it away."― Jared Leto
- "Sympathy for victims is always counter-balanced by an equal and opposite feeling of resentment towards them."― Ben Elton