More From John Berger
- "The human imagination… has great difficulty in living strictly within the confines of a materialist practice or philosophy. It dreams, like a dog in its basket, of hares in the open."
- "What makes photography a strange invention is that its primary raw materials are light and time."
- "Ours is the century of enforced travel of disappearances. The century of people helplessly seeing others, who were close to them, disappear over the horizon."
More In Best
- "Falling in love is the best way to kill your heart because then it’s not yours anymore. It’s laid in a coffin, waiting to be cremated."― Ville Valo
- "I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day."― Dean Martin
- "The breakdown of the black community, in order to maintain slavery, began with the breakdown of the black family. Men and women were not legally allowed to get married because you couldn’t have that kind of love. It might get in the way of the economics of slavery. Your children could be taken from you and literally sold down the river."― Kerry Washington