More From Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- "Wood burns because it has the proper stuff in it; and a man becomes famous because he has the proper stuff in him."
- "Music is either sacred or secular. The sacred agrees with its dignity, and here has its greatest effect on life, an effect that remains the same through all ages and epochs. Secular music should be cheerful throughout."
- "The biggest problem with every art is by the use of appearance to create a loftier reality."
More In Art
- "I didn’t grow up thinking of movies as film, or art, but as movies, something to do on a Saturday afternoon."― Sydney Pollack
- "Anyone who relishes art should love the extraordinary diversity and psychic magic of our art galleries. There’s likely more combined square footage for the showing of art on one New York block – West 24th Street between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues – than in all of Amsterdam’s or Hamburg’s galleries."― Jerry Saltz
- "Poetry is a beautiful way of spoiling prose, and the laborious art of exchanging plain sense for harmony."― Horace Walpole