More From Jhumpa Lahiri
- "I’ve never had Internet access. Actually, I have looked at things on other people’s computers as a bystander. A few times in my life I’ve opened email accounts, twice actually, but it’s something I don’t want in my life right now."
- "My parents had an arranged marriage, as did so many other people when I was growing up. My father came and had a life in the United States one way and my mother had a different one, and I was very aware of those things. I continue to wonder about it, and I will continue to write about it."
- "For that story, I took as my subject a young woman whom I got to know over the course of a couple of visits. I never saw her having any health problems – but I knew she wanted to be married."
More In Marriage
- "I’m not a marriage expert, quite clearly."― Cathy Freeman
- "We have accepted the principle of democracy and we are committed to respect the popular verdict and the result of that national consultation."― Mahmoud Abbas
- "Civil union is less than marriage. Marriage is a sacred and valued institution and ought to be afforded equal protection."― James McGreevey