More From Jhumpa Lahiri
- "My parents had an arranged marriage, as did so many other people when I was growing up. My father came and had a life in the United States one way and my mother had a different one, and I was very aware of those things. I continue to wonder about it, and I will continue to write about it."
- "I’ve never had Internet access. Actually, I have looked at things on other people’s computers as a bystander. A few times in my life I’ve opened email accounts, twice actually, but it’s something I don’t want in my life right now."
- "For that story, I took as my subject a young woman whom I got to know over the course of a couple of visits. I never saw her having any health problems – but I knew she wanted to be married."
More In Marriage
- "Marriages are made in heaven and consummated on Earth."― John Lyly
- "Marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get in, and those inside equally desperate to get out."― Michel de Montaigne
- "Forty-five States, as the gentleman just said, have determined by people that were elected by the people of that State that marriage is the definition of one man and one woman."― Randy Neugebauer