More From Jerry Saltz
- "It took me twenty years to get Steven Parrino’s work. From the time I first saw his art, in the mid-eighties, I almost always dismissed it as mannered, Romantic, formulaic, conceptualist-formalist heavy-metal boy-art abstraction."
- "Just as Pollock used the drip to meld process and product, Richter ‘found’ and used the smudge and the blur to ravish the eye, creating works of psychic and physical power."
- "The art world is molting – some would say melting. Galleries are closing; museums are scaling back."
More In Art
- "Art begins in imitation and ends in innovation."― Mason Cooley
- "Art is our chief means of breaking bread with the dead."― W. H. Auden
- "For me, the game would be to assume a very intelligent reader who can extrapolate a lot from a little. And that’s become my definition of art; to get that pitch just right, where I can put a hint on page three, and the reader’s ears go up a bit, as opposed to dropping it all on the first page."― George Saunders