More From Jerry Saltz
- "Many art-worlders have an if-you-say-so approach to art: Everyone is so scared of missing out on the next hot artist that it’s never clear whether people are liking work because they like it or because other people do. Everyone is keeping up with the Joneses, and there are more Joneses than ever."
- "My nominee for Best Picture of the year – maybe the best picture ever, because it’s essentially made up of and is an ecstatic love letter to all other movies – is Christian Marclay’s endlessly enticing must-see masterpiece ‘The Clock.’"
- "The style of ancient Egyptian art is transcendently clear, something 8-year-olds can recognize in an instant. Its consistency and codification is one of the most epic visual journeys in all art, one that lasts 30 dynasties spread over 3,000 years."
More In Art
- "Man is unique not because he does science, and his is unique not because he does art, but because science and art equally are expressions of his marvelous plasticity of mind."― Jacob Bronowski
- "Growing up going to Christian school and the concept that you’re born a sinner and you don’t really have a choice to change who you are has been hammered into my head and created the entire reason why I made art and made a band and made records called ‘Antichrist Superstar.’"― Marilyn Manson
- "As I grew older, I realized that it was much better to insist on the genuine forms of nature, for simplicity is the greatest adornment of art."― Albrecht Durer