More From Jerry Saltz
- "Summer is a great time to visit art museums, which offer the refreshing rinse of swimming pools – only instead of cool water, you immerse yourself in art."
- "My culture-deprived, aspirational mother dragged me once a month from our northern suburb – where the word art never came up – to the Art Institute of Chicago. I hated it."
- "I also take pleasure in the so-called negative power in Grotjahn’s work. That is, I love his paintings for what they are not. Unlike much art of the past decade, Grotjahn isn’t simply working from a prescribed checklist of academically acceptable, curator-approved ‘isms’ and twists."
More In Art
- "Can space break? I mean the space of art galleries. Over the past 100 years, art galleries have gone from looking like Beaux Arts salons to simple storefronts to industrial lofts to the gleaming giant white cubes of Chelsea with their shiny concrete floors."― Jerry Saltz
- "Art is good, bad, boring, ugly, useful to us or not."― Jerry Saltz
- "Movies were never an art form, they were entertainment. It just evolved into an art form from there, and it’s still evolving in different ways."― David Mamet