More From Jerry Saltz
- "Art is good, bad, boring, ugly, useful to us or not."
- "A saboteur in the house of art and a comedienne in the house of art theory, Lawler has spent three decades documenting the secret life of art. Functioning as a kind of one-woman CSI unit, she has photographed pictures and objects in collectors’ homes, in galleries, on the walls of auction houses, and off the walls, in museum storage."
- "John Currin’s exaggerated realism and his twisted women kept me off balance, never knowing if they were sincere or ironic or some new emotion."
More In Art
- "It is no great art to say something briefly when, like Tacitus, one has something to say; when one has nothing to say, however, and none the less writes a whole book and makes truth into a liar – that I call an achievement."― Horace
- "An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it."― Paul Valery
- "Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than the injury that provokes it."― Lucius Annaeus Seneca