More From Jerry Saltz
- "Contrary to popular opinion, things don’t go stale particularly fast in the art world."
- "Many art-worlders have an if-you-say-so approach to art: Everyone is so scared of missing out on the next hot artist that it’s never clear whether people are liking work because they like it or because other people do. Everyone is keeping up with the Joneses, and there are more Joneses than ever."
- "My culture-deprived, aspirational mother dragged me once a month from our northern suburb – where the word art never came up – to the Art Institute of Chicago. I hated it."
More In Art
- "Ethics is in origin the art of recommending to others the sacrifices required for cooperation with oneself."― Bertrand Russell
- "To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."― Elliott Erwitt
- "Life doesn’t imitate art, it imitates bad television."― Woody Allen