More From Jerry Saltz
- "Robert Rauschenberg was not a giant of American art; he was the giant. No American created so many aesthetic openings for so many artists."
- "We’re all entitled to opinions about how art institutions should behave, and entitled to voicing those opinions through whatever means available to us. We’re also allowed to change or modify our opinions."
- "A canon is antithetical to everything the New York art world has been about for the past 40 years, during which we went from being the center of the art world to being one of many centers."
More In Art
- "Does art have a future? Performance genres like opera, theater, music and dance are thriving all over the world, but the visual arts have been in slow decline for nearly 40 years. No major figure of profound influence has emerged in painting or sculpture since the waning of Pop Art and the birth of Minimalism in the early 1970s."― Camille Paglia
- "In the first place, our faith ought to lay hold on Christ as God and man in that nature by which He has been made our neighbor, kinsman, and brother."― Martin Chemnitz
- "The waking mind is the least serviceable in the arts."― Henry Miller