More From Jasper Johns
- "I think a painting should include more experience than simply intended statement."
- "When something is new to us, we treat it as an experience. We feel that our senses are awake and clear. We are alive."
- "My experience of life is that it’s very fragmented; certain kinds of things happen, and in another place, a different kind of thing occurs. I would like my work to have some vivid indication of those differences."
More In Freedom
- "For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."― Nelson Mandela
- "Let your enemies be disarmed by the gentleness of your manner, but at the same time let them feel, the steadiness of your resentment."― Lord Chesterfield
- "Americans admire a people who can scratch a desert and produce a garden. The Israelis have shown qualities that Americans identify with: guts, patriotism, idealism, a passion for freedom. I have seen it. I know. I believe that."― Richard M. Nixon