More From James Lovelock
- "If you start any large theory, such as quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, it takes about 40 years for mainstream science to come around. Gaia has been going for only 30 years or so."
- "If it hadn’t been for the Cold War, neither Russia nor America would have been sending people into space."
- "Just after World War II, this country led the world in science by every way you could measure it, yet the number of scientists was a tiny proportion of what it is now."
More In Science
- "If we take science as our sole guide, if we accept and hold fast that alone which is verifiable, the old theology must go."― John Burroughs
- "My father has a pragmatic mind. He marched with Dr. King in the ’60s, and he’s very much for women’s rights."― Tori Amos
- "As I have tried to show, science, in producing the airplane and the wireless, has created a new international political environment to which governments must adjust their foreign policies."― John Boyd Orr