More From James Lovelock
- "Science always uses metaphor."
- "Just after World War II, this country led the world in science by every way you could measure it, yet the number of scientists was a tiny proportion of what it is now."
- "If you start any large theory, such as quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, it takes about 40 years for mainstream science to come around. Gaia has been going for only 30 years or so."
More In Religion
- "The courts are using the First Amendment to attack religion, when they should be using it to protect religion."― Ernest Istook
- "Compassion is not a popular virtue. Very often when I talk to religious people, and mention how important it is that compassion is the key, that it’s the sine-qua-non of religion, people look kind of balked, and stubborn sometimes, as much to say, what’s the point of having religion if you can’t disapprove of other people?"― Karen Armstrong
- "It is a good morning exercise for a research scientist to discard a pet hypothesis every day before breakfast. It keeps him young."― Konrad Lorenz