More From James K. Polk
- "Well may the boldest fear and the wisest tremble when incurring responsibilities on which may depend our country’s peace and prosperity, and in some degree the hopes and happiness of the whole human family."
- "Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world."
- "One great object of the Constitution was to restrain majorities from oppressing minorities or encroaching upon their just rights."
More In History
- "No man is truly great who is great only in his lifetime. The test of greatness is the page of history."― William Hazlitt
- "Throughout this country’s history there have of course been systematic efforts to create an official underclass."― Eric Liu
- "Obama has seen to the passage of the most radical legislation in recent American history and so-called ‘progressives’ should be thanking him for it – even as many of the rest of us rear in horror from its implications."― John Podhoretz