More From James K. Polk
- "One great object of the Constitution was to restrain majorities from oppressing minorities or encroaching upon their just rights."
- "Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world."
- "Well may the boldest fear and the wisest tremble when incurring responsibilities on which may depend our country’s peace and prosperity, and in some degree the hopes and happiness of the whole human family."
More In History
- "We are not being arrogant or complacent when we are said that our country, as a united nation, has never in its entire history, enjoyed such a confluence of encouraging possibilities."― Thabo Mbeki
- "The year 2008 was a reminder to those who had forgotten that there is such a thing as history and that the cycle of famine and feast in commerce, first identified in antiquity and well understood in the Middle Ages, was not suddenly abolished in modern times."― James Buchan
- "I feel like I’m too busy writing history to read it."― Kanye West