More From James Buchan
- "Up until the Depression, recession had a moral character: it was supposed to purge the body economic of the greed and excess that attends a business expansion."
- "What holds an Arab leader in power is a mixture of violence and prestige. Both President Assad and King Hussein were felt to have defended Arab interests against the world. That, in the end, is more important than what they wear on their head."
- "By pouring money and goods into devastated regions, foreign aid workers sometimes compound the disruption and debauch the survivors."
More In Women
- "Instead of having to be a member of the Royal Society to do science, the way you had to be in England in the 17th, 18th, centuries today pretty much anybody who wants to do it can, and the information that they need to do it is there."― Seth Lloyd
- "When women kiss it always reminds one of prize fighters shaking hands."― H. L. Mencken
- "On one issue at least, men and women agree; they both distrust women."― James Russell Lowell