More From Henry Louis Gates
- "I knew that there were black people in Africa, of course, unfortunately because of movies such as ‘Tarzan.’"
- "Very few, if any, first-generation black or white or Asian kids will pursue a Ph.D. They’ll pursue the professions for economic security. Many will go to law school and/or business school."
- "The African American’s relationship to Africa has long been ambivalent, at least since the early nineteenth century, when 3,000 black men crowded into Bishop Richard Allen’s African Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia to protest noisily a plan to recolonize free blacks in Africa."
More In Family
- "Left-wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of children and of fighting poverty, while right-wing politicians do it in the name of family values and fighting drugs. Either way, government gets bigger and you become less free."― Harry Browne
- "Hollywood is the backdrop of my family, and I know that the movie business is incredibly cruel as you get older."― Jamie Lee Curtis
- "The foundation of family – that’s where it all begins for me."― Faith Hill