More From Henry James
- "It takes an endless amount of history to make even a little tradition."
- "In art economy is always beauty."
- "The face of nature and civilization in this our country is to a certain point a very sufficient literary field. But it will yield its secrets only to a really grasping imagination. To write well and worthily of American things one need even more than elsewhere to be a master."
More In Art
- "It’s important to debunk the myths of Africa being this benighted continent civilized only when white people arrived. In fact, Africans had been creators of culture for thousands of years before. These were very intelligent, subtle and sophisticated people, with organized societies and great art."― Henry Louis Gates
- "Education is the art of making man ethical."― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
- "In art as in love, instinct is enough."― Anatole France