More From Henry James
- "It takes an endless amount of history to make even a little tradition."
- "I adore adverbs; they are the only qualifications I really much respect."
- "I think I don’t regret a single ‘excess’ of my responsive youth – I only regret, in my chilled age, certain occasions and possibilities I didn’t embrace."
More In History
- "I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."― Charles de Gaulle
- "In known history, nobody has had such capacity for altering the universe than the people of the United States of America. And nobody has gone about it in such an aggressive way."― Alan Watts
- "I approach writing female characters the same why I approach writing male characters. I never think I’m writing about women, I think I’m writing about one woman, one person. And I try to imagine what she is like, and endow her with a lot of my own thoughts and history."― Jeffrey Eugenides