More From Henry James
- "The face of nature and civilization in this our country is to a certain point a very sufficient literary field. But it will yield its secrets only to a really grasping imagination. To write well and worthily of American things one need even more than elsewhere to be a master."
- "A man who pretends to understand women is bad manners. For him to really to understand them is bad morals."
- "It takes an endless amount of history to make even a little tradition."
More In Art
- "I just need to know that I did the very best I could and that I was true to myself."― Lenny Kravitz
- "Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."― Pablo Picasso
- "Oh literature, oh the glorious Art, how it preys upon the marrow in our bones. It scoops the stuffing out of us, and chucks us aside. Alas!"― David Herbert Lawrence