More From Henry James Sumner Maine
- "Our authorities leave us no doubt that the trust lodged with the oligarchy was sometimes abused, but it certainly ought not to be regarded as a mere usurpation or engine of tyranny."
- "It is true that the aristocracies seem to have abused their monopoly of legal knowledge; and at all events their exclusive possession of the law was a formidable impediment to the success of those popular movements which began to be universal in the western world."
More In Happiness
- "There may be Peace without Joy, and Joy without Peace, but the two combined make Happiness."― John Buchan
- "The Dalai Lama. He is a very wise man of great inner peace who believes that happiness is the purpose of our lives. Through his teachings and leadership, he continues to make this world a better place in which to live."― Sidney Sheldon
- "Growth itself contains the germ of happiness."― Pearl S. Buck