More From Henry James Sumner Maine
- "It is true that the aristocracies seem to have abused their monopoly of legal knowledge; and at all events their exclusive possession of the law was a formidable impediment to the success of those popular movements which began to be universal in the western world."
- "Our authorities leave us no doubt that the trust lodged with the oligarchy was sometimes abused, but it certainly ought not to be regarded as a mere usurpation or engine of tyranny."
More In Happiness
- "Success is getting and achieving what you want. Happiness is wanting and being content with what you get."― Bernard Meltzer
- "Every man hath a general desire of his own happiness; and likewise a variety of particular affections, passions, and appetites to particular external objects."― Joseph Butler
- "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product."― Eleanor Roosevelt