More From Henry James Sumner Maine
- "It is true that the aristocracies seem to have abused their monopoly of legal knowledge; and at all events their exclusive possession of the law was a formidable impediment to the success of those popular movements which began to be universal in the western world."
- "Our authorities leave us no doubt that the trust lodged with the oligarchy was sometimes abused, but it certainly ought not to be regarded as a mere usurpation or engine of tyranny."
More In Happiness
- "And perfect happiness? Man, that’s a… the pool is about 92 degrees, the Jacuzzi is about 102 and an avocado farm."― Jamie Foxx
- "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."― Red Skelton
- "I don’t know the true meaning of happiness."― Jonathan Davis