More From Henry Adams
- "One friend in a lifetime is much, two are many, three are hardly possible. Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community of thought, a rivalry of aim."
- "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
- "He too serves a certain purpose who only stands and cheers."
More In Politics
- "What is a wife and what is a harlot? What is a church and what is a theatre? are they two and not one? Can they exist separate? Are not religion and politics the same thing? Brotherhood is religion. O demonstrations of reason dividing families in cruelty and pride!"― William Blake
- "You don’t argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn’t eat candy for dinner. You don’t punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don’t argue when a women tells you she’s only making 80 cents to your dollar. It’s the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles."― Scott Adams
- "Local politics, like everything else, are not what they used to be. But the fact is that our political system – like our physical existence – still breaks down along geographical lines."― Eric Alterman