More From Henry Adams
- "One friend in a lifetime is much, two are many, three are hardly possible. Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community of thought, a rivalry of aim."
- "American society is a sort of flat, fresh-water pond which absorbs silently, without reaction, anything which is thrown into it."
- "Chaos was the law of nature; Order was the dream of man."
More In Politics
- "I love hard political debate and I love beating somebody on a political point but what I’m more frustrated by is the politics where you play the man not the politics."― Johann Lamont
- "When you come from desperate poverty, and that’s exactly what I come from, you know that nonsenses are not to be tolerated. I’m not sure who gains from chaos, but I know it’s not the poor folks in the council flats. The politics of vindictiveness is never, ever anything like a solution."― Johnny Rotton
- "I don’t take a great deal of interest in party politics. Social politics interests me a great deal more."― Robert Carlyle