More From Harriet Martineau
- "But is it not the fact that religion emanates from the nature, from the moral state of the individual? Is it not therefore true that unless the nature be completely exercised, the moral state harmonized, the religion cannot be healthy?"
- "The sum and substance of female education in America, as in England, is training women to consider marriage as the sole object in life, and to pretend that they do not think so."
More In Religion
- "The role of the teacher is to create the conditions for invention rather than provide ready-made knowledge."― Seymour Papert
- "Religious tolerance is something we should all practice; however, there have been more persecution and atrocities committed in the name of religion and religious freedom than anything else."― Walter Koenig
- "I took religion much too seriously, however, and its overall effect was depressing. I would have really liked to discard it, but somehow I couldn’t."― Jack Dee