More From Harriet Martineau
- "But is it not the fact that religion emanates from the nature, from the moral state of the individual? Is it not therefore true that unless the nature be completely exercised, the moral state harmonized, the religion cannot be healthy?"
- "The sum and substance of female education in America, as in England, is training women to consider marriage as the sole object in life, and to pretend that they do not think so."
More In Religion
- "I’m not sure I make old bones in parliament. It’s an amazing experience to have had but I can’t see myself being Mother of the House."― Louise Mensch
- "I don’t call myself a Buddhist. I’m a free spirit. I believe I’m here on earth to admire and enjoy it; that’s my religion."― Alice Walker
- "Truly I never thought of myself as writing legal thrillers, and I still don’t think I do. I write stories about women."― Lisa Scottoline